Think you can’t eat pizza anymore on your ketogenic lifestyle? Not on my watch! This fat dough pizza recipe is absolutely delicious and will make a great addition to your pizza nights. Enjoy this slice of pizza at 3.9 grams of net carbs.
Tips for making this recipe
For the pizza base I use a fat dough. The same as the one I use in my lasagna recipe.
First you’ll start by making the fat dough with the use of only 4 ingredients: shredded mozzarella cheese, one egg, almond flour and baking powder. Depending on the mozzarella cheese you are using, the kneading process will take some more or less time. I personally always go for a mozzarella cheese that has no starch in it, like potato or corn starch because starches can raise your blood sugar. If you choose one without a starch and start kneading you will notice that everything doesn’t bind together easily. It’s important to keep kneading. It will bind after about 5 minutes, this is a great way to get an arm workout in and it totally pays off.
Once you have a firm dough, you’ll need to roll it out on a parchment paper with a rolling pin. If the dough starts too stick too much to the rolling pin, you can lay another parchment paper on top of the dough and use the rolling pin on top of the parchment paper until you have a flat round dough.
For the pizza dough
- 2 cups Mozzarella grated
- 1 Egg
- 1 cup Almond flour and some extra
- 1 tsp Baking powder
For the toppings
- 1 tbsp Butter
- 1 small Red onion cut in pieces
- 1 lbs Ground beef
- 1 tbsp Paprika powder
- 1 tsp Garlic powder
- Pinch Cayenne pepper
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/3 cup Sugar free barbecue sauce
- 1/4 cup Mozzarella grated
- 1/4 cup Cheddar cheese grated
- 6 Slices Bacon cut in pieces
For the pizza dough
- In a large glass bowl, add 2 cups of the grated mozzarella.
- Melt in the microwave for about 1-2 minutes.
- When the mozzarella cheese is melted, add the egg and mix with a spatula.
- Preheat the oven at 375 F.
- Add the almond flour and the baking powder to the mozzarella and egg mixture and start kneading with your hands until you have a firm dough. This could take a few minutes.
- When you have a firm dough, lay out a parchment paper on a flat surface and roll out the dough into a large circle with the help of a rolling pin.
- Place the dough with the parchment paper on a baking tray and bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes.
To make the ground beef topping
- While to pizza base is baking prepare the ground beef topping.
- In a large pot, melt the butter on medium to high heat.
- Add the cut onion and stir.
- Add the ground beef, paprika powder, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, salt and pepper. Stir with a wooden spoon until the ground beef starts to brown and set aside.
Assemble the pizza
- Take the pizza dough out of the oven and add the barbecue sauce, ground beef, bacon, mozzarella and cheddar cheese.
- Bake in the oven for another 15 minutes.