I recently saw this recipe made by Maria Emmerich and I decided to give it a try. You might have seen me prepare in trough my stories on my instagram account. I was just blown away by how similar this bread resembles the regular sandwich bread! The texture is phenomenal!
When it comes to taste, I personally like it. I do feel like this bread needs to be combined with some fat like a fried egg, some smoked salmon or guacamole because it doesn’t contain any fat on its own. But the possibilities to combine this bread with are endless!
Tips for making this bread
I did make some adjustment to the original recipe. I left out the cream of tartar and replaced the allulose with powdered erythritol.
In this recipe I used fresh 12 eggs whites by separating the yolks. You can also use liquid egg whites. In this case you’ll need to use 360 ml of liquid egg whites.
Once you have separated the egg whites, you’ll need to add them in a large bowl. Make sure it is big enough, because once the egg whites start to stiffen they will rise and can easily out-rise the bowl. Make sure the bowl is clean and doesn’t have any moisture in it.
Before mixing the egg whites you’ll need to add the erythritol and salt, then start mixing. You can use a regular hand held electric mixer like I did, or you can use a stand mixer. Make sure you mix the egg whites enough for them to stiffen.
Once the egg whites are stiff, add in the egg white powder and mix until you have a smooth this mass. Then grease the bread pans with some avocado oil. You can so this by adding some oil on a paper towel and slide it on the sides for the bread pan. Or you can use a cooking spray too.
You can use one big bread pan or 2 small ones. Whichever you prefer.
- Large bowl
- Electric Mixer
- Bread pan
- 12 egg whites
- 1 tbsp powdered erythritol
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 cup egg white powder
- some avocado oil to grease the bread pan
- Preheat the oven at 375 F.
- In a (very) large bowl, add the egg whites, salt and erythritol and mix for 10-15 minutes with an electric mixer until the egg whites are stiff.
- Add the egg white powder and mix again for 2-3 minutes.
- Grease a large bread loaf pan with some avocado oil. (You can also use 2 spall bread loaf pans.)
- Transfer the mixture into the bread loaf pan and bake in the oven for 30 minutes until golden brown. Then turn off the oven and leave the bread in the oven for another 15 minutes.
- Take the bread out of the oven, let it cool down a little and remove it from the bread pan.
- When fully cooled down, cut in slices with a steak knife or electrical knife.