Want an easy keto friendly recipe for dinner? Keto meatballs in tomato sauce is one of my family’s favourites. It’s so easy to prepare and it’s absolutely delicious. You can combine this with a simple salad or some mashed cauliflower.
About the ingredients:
Ground Meat: I prefer to use grass-fed, grass-finished ground beef because of the high nutritional content. You can use any ground meat you like to make this recipe.
Ghee: I love cooking with ghee because it has a low burning point (ghee starts burning at 482 degrees). You can also use coconut oil, grass fed butter, olive oil or avocado oil.
Sugar Free Tomato Sauce: I like to use passata as tomato sauce because a lot of tomato sauces come with added sugar. Be aware when you’re out grocery shopping. The sugar lurks everywhere.
Tips on how to make this recipe:
- You can use one pot to make this complete recipe, preferably a non-sticking pot. This will prevent the meatballs sticking to the pot right when you start cooking and they don’t fall apart. Using the ‘juice’ from the meatballs you first fried in the same pot, gives the sauce that extra flavour.
- If you want more flavour into the meat, you can add salt, pepper and all the seasoning used in the sauce. Just add them into the ground meat before you’re making the meatballs. Adding in 1 egg and some shredded mozzarella can help avoid the meatballs falling apart, but it’s not a necessity.
- 35 oz Ground Meat
- 2 tbs Ghee (coconut oil, butter or olive oil are fine too)
- 1 Medium size onion (cut in pieces)
- 2 cloves Garlic (minced)
- 3 cups Sugar free tomato sauce (I used passata)
- 1 tsp Paprika Power
- 1 tsp Italian Seasoning
- 1 tsp Dries basil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Season the meat with salt and pepper and shape balls out of the ground meat.
- In a large pot, melt 1 tbs of ghee on medium to high heat and add the meatballs. Fry them until they start to brown.
- Take the meatballs out of the pot and add another tbs of oil, the onion and garlic. Fry until glazy.
- Add the tomato sauce and stir. Add the paprika powder, Italian seasoning, dried basil, salt and pepper and stir.
- Add the meatballs to the sauce and let simmer on low heat for another 8-10 minutes.
- Serve with a salad and enjoy!