As a child my morning breakfast would always be a slice of bread with a nice spread of Nutella. That was until I realised that breakfast was not suitable on my ketogenic lifestyle. So I made a substitute. You can use this spread on some 90 second keto bread, protein bread or even some keto nut bread.
The best part of this keto Nutella paste is that is has natural healthy ingredients and it tastes delicious (in my opinion) at only 1.1 grams of net carbs per tablespoon.
This keto Nutella paste also stays fresh for a very long time. I keep it up to 6 months, mainly because I have to prepare a new jar by then because my family loves this paste.
Tips for making this recipe
In this recipe I use hazelnuts that are not peeled yet. Therefore I place them in the oven so it’s easy to remove the skin. Roasting them also gives them a more intense taste in my opinion. If you’re not into the roasting, you can use hazelnuts that are already blanched.
Before you prepare this recipe, make sure you have a good food processor with sharp blades, as it has to be able to turn the hazelnuts into a smooth paste.
If you don’t have a food processor, you can use hazelnut paste from a jar and combine it with the rest of the ingredients. Do make sure the hazelnut paste doesn’t have any other additives.
- 17.6 oz. Hazelnuts
- 1/3 cup Raw cacao powder
- 2 tbsp Avocado oil
- 6-7 tbsp Powdered erythritol
- 1/4 tsp Sea salt
- Preheat the oven on 300° F. Place some parchment paper on a baking sheet and assort the hazelnuts evenly. Then place them in the oven. Let them bake for 10-15 minutes.
- Take the hazelnuts out of the oven and place them on a kitchen towel. Close the kitchen towel and rub the skin of the hazelnuts. Some skin will still remain, that is not a problem.
- Put the skinned hazelnuts and 2 tablespoons of avocado oil in the foodprocessor and blend them until they turn into a smooth paste. This can take between 10-20 minutes.
- Add the raw cacao, sea salt and erythritol (according to your taste) to the paste and blend until smooth.
- Transfer into a large jar.